Monday, February 9, 2009

A Double Standard

Tjabe has recently taken to telling us "No, Mom (or Dad)" when we tell him we're going to do something, probably because I feel like we are telling him no constantly. He has to apologize to us for being disrespectful. This is the precursor to the conversation I had with him this morning:
T: I'll play Clifford on the computer now, okay?
Me: No, we're not going to play on the computer now.
T: Mo-om (in that teenage, eye-rolling or reprimanding sort of tone), you need to 'pologize to me. You said no.
Me: Actually honey, Mommy and Daddy are in charge of you, so we can tell you no when it is best for you. You can't tell Mommy and Daddy no, though.
T: But Mo-om, you need to 'pologize to me! You said no. Cause I want to play on the 'puter but you told me no. So you need to 'pologize.
Well, I didn't apologize, and he got over it. For now. I'm sure the issue will come up again.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Wickland said...

We have similar conversations at our house. How confusing it must be fore the kids! My favorite is when Ellie tells Leif "No, Ma'am, Daddy!" because we tell her "no ma'am" a lot! She also told me that Leif needed to go to timeout because he threw a fit (when he was in his office working from home and was frustrated with how something was (or wasn't) working.) It was pretty funny.