Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Our son the genius

This title is not accurate at all but I thought it might raise some eyebrows. No, I am NOT one of those parents who thinks my child is the smartest ever - in fact he's a pretty average two-year-old boy as far as intellect goes. I know this because, while he can read his letters and numbers, he also thinks that snow should be eaten whenever and wherever it is found (including in parking lots, on the bottom of shoes, etc.). The other day I almost fell into the trap of motherly pride, however. We were going through the letters of the alphabet, and he would tell me, "A, Mama - a,a [imagine him making the different pronunciations of "a"]." Then he did the same for B and C. I was glowing inside as I thought, "This is incredible! Have I taught him this without realizing it? Or has he really learned this by watching Super-Why twice a week? [and the famous dreaded thought...] My child is a genius!" Only later did I realize that my friend whom he stays with two mornings a week has been teaching her boys to read in front of him, and he is just picking it up. Suffice it to say, she is an amazing mom, and I am fortunate enough to reap some of the benefits! I have several of these friends, and if you're reading this I hope you know how grateful I am. I am also grateful to God for curbing my pride. Right after Tjabe showed me his pronunciations, I asked him what a donkey says (we've been working on that) and he responded, "Baaaa."

No comments: