Monday, January 12, 2009

What just happened?

Most parents can relate to this.
I was holding Maggie up on my shoulder, when suddenly she grunted, followed by a diaper explosion. This is not abnormal. What was unusual was the un-muffled sound of the explosion. When I looked down, everything had sprayed out the top of the diaper, all over the carpet, her clothes, and me. Then I laid her on the floor to get a towel and some cleaning stuff, and she screamed while I ran frantically through the house gathering wipes, a clean diaper, clean baby clothes, a towel, and carpet cleaner. I got back, got her cleaned up and changed, and took off everything I was wearing that was covered in poop. I picked her up to calm her down and she puked all over me. I put her back down to run and get some more rags and the screaming began again. Finally, I got her back up, burped her forever with clean burp rags (yes, "rags" is plural - this girl is a geyser), and she is now swaddled and sleeping, while the few clothes I still have on are covered in puke. In the meantime, Tjabe has been sitting right next to us at the computer, playing games on pbskids.org and chatting on Skype with Grandpa. I'm going to start some laundry and take a shower now.

2 comments:

Addie said...

OMGosh. I had no idea - that must have happened while I called you? Right before? Right after?

Yikes. Well, you looked good. And I didn't see Maggie (nor did you point out the offended carpet), but I'll bet she cleaned up good too.

"Thanks" seems wholly insufficient right now, but, uh, thanks. :)

KON said...

...like the story. Thanks for the Christmas card. The pictures are great and it is nice to have a way to keep up (at least a little) on what is happening in your lives.